Don’t Take A Chance With Your Life!
Know How Thick The Ice Is
Know the dangers of ice Ice Factors
Many factors affect ice thickness including: type of water, location, the time of year and other environmental factors such as:
- Water depth and size of body of water.
- Currents, tides and other moving water.
- Chemicals including salt.
- Fluctuations in water levels.
- Logs, rocks and docks absorbing heat from the sun.
- Changing air temperature.
- Shock waves from vehicles traveling on the ice.
The colour of ice may be an indication of its strength.
- Clear blue ice is strongest.
- White opaque or snow ice is half as strong as blue ice. Opaque ice is formed by wet snow freezing on the ice.
- Grey ice is unsafe. The grayness indicates the presence of water.
Did you know ice thickness should be:
- 15 cm for walking or skating alone
- 20 cm for skating parties or games
- 25 cm for snowmobiles.
Check with local authorities before heading out. Avoid going out on ice at night.
When You Are Alone On Ice
If you get into trouble on ice and you’re by yourself:
- Call for help.
- Resist the immediate urge to climb back out where you fell in. The ice is weak in this area.
- Use the air trapped in your clothing to get into a floating position on your stomach.
- Reach forward onto the broken ice without pushing down. Kick your legs to push your torso on the ice.
- When you are back on the ice, crawl on your stomach or roll away from the open area with your arms and legs spread out as far as possible to evenly distribute your body weight. Do not stand up! Look for shore and make sure you are going in the right direction.
When You Are With Others On Ice
- Rescuing another person from ice can be dangerous. The safest way to perform a rescue is from shore.
- Call for help. Consider whether you can quickly get help from trained professionals (police, fire fighters or ambulance) or bystanders.
- Check if you can reach the person using a long pole or branch from shore – if so, lie down and extend the pole to the person.
- If you go onto ice, wear a PFD and carry a long pole or branch to test the ice in front of you. Bring something to reach or throw to the person (e.g. pole, weighted rope, line or tree branch).
- When near the break, lie down to distribute your weight and slowly crawl toward the hole.
- Remaining low, extend or throw your emergency rescue device (pole, rope, line or branch) to the person.
- Have the person kick while you pull them out.
- Move the person to a safe position on shore or where you are sure the ice is thick. Signal for help.
Please check out the web pages we comply with, including this one, because it represents our picks in the web.
We like to honor lots of other online internet sites on the web, even though they aren
below you will come across the link to some web-sites that we believe it is best to visit
that is the finish of this write-up. Here you will find some sites that we assume you
Anal skin tags are really embarrassing. But you do not need to get embarrassed any more. This video will show you how to get rid of them naturally and safely at home.
check beneath, are some completely unrelated internet sites to ours, nonetheless, they are most trustworthy sources that we use
Here are a few of the internet sites we advise for our visitors
usually posts some incredibly interesting stuff like this. If you are new to this site
here are some hyperlinks to sites that we link to simply because we assume they may be really worth visiting
Here is a superb Blog You may Obtain Intriguing that we Encourage You
here are some links to web sites that we link to for the reason that we feel they’re really worth visiting
one of our guests not long ago suggested the following website
Every the moment inside a although we choose blogs that we read. Listed beneath are the most current sites that we decide on
Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sites of interest we’ve a link to
that is the end of this post. Here you will obtain some websites that we think you
the time to read or take a look at the subject material or websites we have linked to below the
Here are a number of the web-sites we recommend for our visitors
one of our guests not too long ago proposed the following website
the time to read or visit the content or sites we’ve linked to below the
very few internet websites that happen to become in depth below, from our point of view are undoubtedly very well really worth checking out
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated data, nevertheless definitely really worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 find out about Mid East has got extra problerms at the same time
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine some unrelated information, nonetheless seriously really worth taking a look, whoa did one particular find out about Mid East has got extra problerms too
Here is a superb Weblog You might Obtain Fascinating that we Encourage You